Monday, May 23, 2011

A New Leaf


I began this blog to journal what's going on in my life. There's been some pretty big things that I have left out lately, though. I haven't written about the following subject because of many reasons. I wanted to make sure this wasn't just a new kick I was on that would come and go in a week. Also, I didn't want to sound preachy or self-righteous - I hate that. But, this has really become so much a part of my life, our lives in this family, that I just have to write about it now.

To say that my husband and I have made a change in our eating habits over the last few months is an understatement. We went from thinking nothing of eating Zaxby's (even if it was a salad) to eating mostly organic (and local when possible) fruits and vegetables and much less processed food than before. We eat meat one, maybe two times a week rather than every day and that meat is of the free range variety. I can't tell you the difference it has made in how we feel. Now don't get me wrong, we are no saints and love to still have our wine and some occasional pizza or Chipotle! It's all about balance, people!

I was a vegetarian for 11 plus years back in high school, college, and a couple years into marriage. I'd say the last 5 years has been a slow, but steep decline in my mindfulness about what goes into my body. That mindset has definately taken its toll in all sorts of ways, but one Saturday night back in February, completely exhausted from the day, I decided to lay in bed and watch a documentary called Food Inc. . It had a tremendous effect on me. It was a wake-up call.

I asked my husband to watch it the next night. Ok, I actually said, "You have to watch this - it will change your life - we are watching this together tonight! No ifs, ands, or buts", but asking sounds nicer. We both knew we needed to make some pretty big changes and now we had the motivation to do it. Thus began this quest to find out anything and everything I could about eating whole foods. I immediately turned to Tom's cousin's wife, who is an incredible woman and such a helpful resource on healthy eating, cooking, gardening, you name it. She pointed me in the right direction and gave me some great go-to sources for further research.

It has taken a lot of work, but it has been so rewarding. I still have a long way to go, but I finally feel as though I'm living and eating mindfully. It's amazing how changing your ideas about food can really transform so many areas in your life. Another post entirely.

So to give you a little taste of the newest addition to our culinary adventure, I give you these pics. A juicer was my Mother's Day present and I LOVE it!!! This is the green juice I make just about every day. I know it looks disgusting, but it grows on you (ha ha) and it makes me feel great. Clara loves the stuff!! Ingredients: All organic kale, romaine, cucumber (if not organic, then peeled), celery and pear.



No comments:

Post a Comment