Friday, March 9, 2012

When did I get old??

It's so weird getting older. I mean I've never really been hung up on age. Although to be honest turning 35 did freak me out a bit. Actually it was the thought of the pending birthday. It was months ahead and it suddenly occurred to me that I was going to be, 33, no 34, no wait...
Holy #&@! 30-freaking-5.

But, then I adjusted my thinking and 35 was really quite awesome. Once I made the decision or came to the realization that a number doesn't dictate how I live my life, I felt pretty great about it. So here I was two months into 35 when, bam, it hit me. I mean there I was in Earth Fare with Clara jamming out to the music (it's kind of our thing because they always have great music) and I was singing right along to one of my favorite songs ever, "Too Much" by the Dave Matthews Band. Remember them? You know, that really cool band that released "Crash" just a few years ago. "Wait, how long ago was that", I thought to myself. you wanna know how long ago???? 1996, my friends.

Is it just me or does that seem like yesterday? I know every word of that song like I just learned it. But no, I was a freshman in college, for the love of all that is decent and holy. It's not that it bothers me that so much time has gone by, it's that it doesn't feel like so much time has gone by. It's been in a blink. 16 years -- poof -- gone. I have experienced so much in that amount of time, but it's just so crazy to think that the next 16 years may well seem to go by just as fast.

The good thing, though is that I know better now than I did then. I know myself a heck of a lot better but still have a long way to go. I know that time is precious and that life is a gift. that sounds so wise doesn't it??? Hmmm. I'll just wallow in my wisdom for a moment....
I also know that my body doesn't feel or look like it did 16 years ago. My skin betrays me and shows the lack of sleep and those pesky hangovers can't be easily remedied by some eggs and home fries like they used to.

Yes, getting older has it's drawbacks. But I seriously wouldn't go back there to 1996 for all the gold in Texas. I like who I have become, warts and all. Although I sure want to improve this body and this mind, they are mine. We've been though a lot together and I sure am grateful to have come this far and can't wait to see what's around the bend.

Please stand up and sing this to the top of your lungs. You know you want to!



No comments:

Post a Comment