Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Dickinson Menagerie

Before our two human children, we had four of the non-human persuasion. I'd like you to meet our four furry children. I'm sad to say that they don't get nearly the attention they once had or that they deserve, but all in all they have it pretty good. The first animal we adopted was Violet, whom we affectionately call "Dar-Dar" . Sometimes nicknames have absolutely no good reason behind them and this is a good example. I think I started referring to her as "Darlin'" and then it just became "Dar-Dar". Quite a funny cat, we found her while we lived in Manhattan a million years ago. Or 9, whatever. We call her our Harlem kitty. She's come a long way, from the hood to the suburbs. We originally wanted a cat because, like everyone else in New York, we had an issue with mice. Well, she took care of that right away and although she was very much an inside cat and a city cat, she now loves to be outside which is where she is most of the time. And yes, she still loves to hunt and kill anything that will sit still for half a second. here she is on the prowl.


The next one added to our family was Hazel. She was abandoned in a strip mall parking lot and once I caught a gilmpse of her in the window of a bookstore that was kind enough to take her in, I just couldn't resist. I have a funny relationship with Hazel. She's just not a cuddly cat. The problem is she is just so darn cute that you can't help wanting to cuddle with her but she will have none of it. Like most cats, she lives on her terms and I have issues with that I guess. I have a lot to learn from Hazel I think, or maybe we are too much alike already. Anyway, she is Violet's best bud and they take naps together and spoon each other and it is just sickening it is so sweet.


Ah, then we got Pun'kin. There's not a more lovable dog on the planet. Or a more emotionally needy one. Tom really wanted a dog and although I was just fine with our two cats and we had just moved into our first house, the thought of a dog was nice. Well, she came into our house as a 6 week old puppy and all hell broke loose. She chewed her way through every nice pair of shoes I owned and there wasn't a piece of furniture that she didn't gnaw on. Still, you can't help but love her. She is 7 years old and still acts like a puppy. Although we took her to an obedience class when we first got her and she passed with flying colors, that was her brown-nosing style. In front of an audience with expectations and treats, she would do every command perfectly every single time. We practiced with her constantly and then it just became apparent that she was a formidable presence and we would need nothing short of Cesar Millan to break her of her bad habits. Again, you can't help but love her. Just look at that face.




And last but certainly not least is Porgy. I absolutely fell in love with that little guy the moment I saw him. I have always loved pugs and since we couldn't leave well enough alone, we got him less than a year after Pun'kin. (That's how I spell it, folks.) He was the tiniest thing I had ever seen and when we brought him home Pun'kin thought he was a toy and with her big paw, swiped Porgy clear across the kitchen floor. I was terrified that that one incident was what made him wall-eyed, but come to find out many pugs have that adorable little feature. Oh well, so much for having a show pug. Anyway, he and Pun'kin are absolutely inseparable and it can be a little humiliating at times. For instance, when we take them on walks, Porgy gets so jealous if Pun'kin barks at another dog or shows any interest at all in another canine. Porgy growls and jumps up to chasten Pun'kin by nipping her on the ear. It's completely embarrassing. I tell everyone, being out with them is like being out with drunk rednecks. There's just no reigning them in. They are wide open and don't give a you-know-what who's lookin'!! I have nothing against rednecks, drunk or otherwise. Just sayin'. He is one special pug.



And there you have it. Life is a little chaotic at times, but these animals are part of this crazy little family. And before you start to think that I must be so tolerant and patient to have four animals living in my house, let me tell you that the dogs do NOT come in the house at all anymore. (Before kids they used to sleep with us) and neither do the cats. The dogs have their very own love seat in the garage (it's pretty funny) and a total run of the back yard and front driveway. The cats are mostly outside except at night when they sleep in our closed of Florida room. So I have to admit, I'm not quite as "Green Acres" as it sounds. Just want to keep it real for ya.

P.S. These great photos are the artwork of my multi-talented husband, Tom.

No comments:

Post a Comment