Tuesday, February 22, 2011

It's all fun and games until exhaustion sets in...

I haven't blogged in several days. I simply have had a major lack of creative juices due to being just plain worn out. The last several days have been filled with our entire household fighting the nasty cold bug that is going around, a horrible busted lip fiasco, a complete napping embargo and a lack of nightly sleep due to said cold bug. I have left the house maybe four times in the last 6 days and those were made up of two trips to the grocery store, church, and to teach my once a week singing class. Hey, I'm thankful for those four short outings because if it weren't for them, I would most certainly be even closer to the entrance of the loony bin than I am right now. As we speak, I have a very nap resistant 7 month old crying (more like screaming) in her crib and an insomniatic (not a word, I know) 3 year old who can't sleep due to a constant cough, bless her heart. I will go and comfort them, I promise, but right now I need a moment to clear my head!

I know that I should be thankful that these are the things that are weighing me down today and that there are many worse things that I could be facing. But the truth is that when we are cocooned and insulated in our own little world and our own little problems, these little things can seem quite heavy. I think about people with real problems and I wonder how they have the strength to face them. These are the times when I remember the truths that we have been promised by God. I hate to admit that I don't turn to God nearly as much during the good, happy-go-lucky times, but it is good to know that he is there when we are struggling to manage.

Here's the breakdown: I have issues with anxiety. When I get overly tired, that anxiety gets more and more unmanageable and then I get frustrated and angry. Then the anger turns inward and creeps steadily towards depression. It takes more than looking in the mirror and saying "you're good enough, you're smart enough, and doggone it, people like you" to get me out of this funk. It takes divine strength. Here's what is helping me through today:

Philippians 4:6,7

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition. With THANKSGIVING, present your requests to God. And the PEACE of God, which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and our minds in Christ Jesus."

It is amazing what these words can do to an anxious heart. And...exhale. Ah, getting better already!

2 comments:

  1. Great post. Here's my personal favorite for hard days/times:

    Jer 29:11 (NIV) "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

    Maybe seeing those words will give you a sense of peace as they do when I read them. Hang in there, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am saying prayers that you all get well soon and you'll be back to normal life. That is such a hard time when you are all cooped up in the house. Watch a little Housewives reruns..that will lift your spirits!! :)

    ReplyDelete