Friday, February 25, 2011

Simple Joys



As I wrote in my last blog post, there have been a few challenges this week. Now though, I am starting to see the fog lift a little and see that there is indeed a light at the end of the tunnel. It's sometimes the smallest things that give us the greatest boost. I thought I would list just 10 of the joys and pick-me-ups that have gotten me through the last couple of days. These are in no particular order in case my husband gets offended. Just stream of consciousness, honey.

1) Good music! Ray LaMontagne, how I love thee. The song "Hannah" just soothes my weary soul. Mix 2 parts Ray with one part Travis Tritt and there are better time ahead, I promise!

2) Melaina's quirkiness. Yesterday morning as we were getting ready for school, we took a break while we were waiting for Daddy to fix Melaina's bagel. Melaina wanted me and Clara to come along for a ride on her magic carpet a.k.a. butterfly blanket which is a necessity that is second only to air as far as Melaina is concerned. So, I plop Clara down on the blanket and get myself situated and we are off!
I said "Oh, Melaina! I love flying on the magic carpet. Where are we going?"
She answers in her dreamy airy voice, "To the restRAUNK" (this is how she says restaurant).
"Which restaurant?" I ask.
"The one with grilled cheeses in there".
I say, "Oh. What are we going to feed Clara?"
"Food with carrots" she answers definitively.

Sounds good to me. But then Melaina had an alarmed face as she said, "Oh no! The magic carpet's batteries are dead" So we made an emergancy landing so that Melaina could get more pretend batteries and install them in the magic carpet. Once the batteries were replaced, we were off again to the RestRAUNK!!

3) Shug:

4) A belated birthday celebration with a great friend! Ashley+sushi= joy!!

5) Roasted Butternut Squash. Sometimes the most delicious food is the simplest. In case this heavenly side dish (I could easily make it an entire meal) is new to you, try this. Halve the squash length-wise and scrape out the seeds with a big spoon. With a vegetable peeler, peel the outer skin. Slice the squash into 1-inch half moons then into cubes. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place on a cookie sheet and roast in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes. Absolute buttery perfection!

6) My chipped "domestically disabled" coffee cup with several refills of joe.


7) A mother without whose love and support, I would surely be in the nut house.

8) A darn good hubby who's commitment to me and this family is unwavering despite having a frazzled, anxiety driven and cranky wife. (Sorry for the squabbling this week, honey! TGIF)

9) Regis and Kelly. I know some people don't like her, but Kelly's perkiness is soothing to me.

10) A great friend I can call who knows exactly what I am going through and who is always supportive. Yes, Laura, Real Housewives re-runs are a great idea.

There are so many more great things, but everyone likes a top ten list!

No comments:

Post a Comment